Thursday, February 12, 2009

Week 4: "Thing 9"

Funny... I never really noticed the RSS feed symbol before and now it seems wherever I navigate on the web... there it is!
It is extremely easy to locate the RSS feed symbol on most blogs and even easier to add new blogs to a Google Reader account.

I explored "Edublog's" award-winning blogs and found three blogs to add to my Google Reader account.

The three blogs I added are:

1. Christina's Classroom
I found Christina's blog easy to relate to as a primary teacher. The post below (taken from Christina's blog) was just too funny and too true!

Awhile back I received an email from a fellow teacher that contained the following jokes from Jeff Foxworthy. I thought it was hilarious and every teacher can relate to. I wanted to share it with you as a way to looked forward to the rest of the year. Many times throughout the day I think about the jokes and get a laugh out of it. Enjoy!

You Know You're a Teacher When...
1. You can hear 25 voices behind you and know exactly which one belongs to the child out of line.
2. You get a secret thrill out of laminating something.
3. You walk into a store and hear the words "It's Ms/Mr._______" and know you have been spotted.
4. You have 25 people that accidentally call you Mom/Dad at one time or another.
5. You can eat a multi-course meal in under twenty minutes.
6. You've trained yourself to go to the bathroom at two distinct times of the day: lunch and planning period.
7. You start saving other people's trash, because most likely, you can use that toilet paper tube or plastic butter tub for something in the classroom.
8. You believe the teachers' lounge should be equipped with a margarita machine.
9. You want to slap the next person who says "Must be nice to work 8 to 3 and have summers off."
10. You believe chocolate is a food group.
11. You can tell if it's a full moon without ever looking outside.
12. You believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says "Boy, the kids sure are mellow today."
13. You feel the urge to talk to strange children and correct their behavior when you are out in public.
14. You believe in aerial spraying of Ritalin.
15. You think caffeine should be available in intravenous form.
16. You spend more money on school stuff than you do on your own needs.
17. You can't pass the school supply aisle without getting at least five items!
18. You ask your friends if the left hand turn he just made was a "good choice or a bad choice."
19. You find true beauty in a can of perfectly sharpened pencils
20. You are secretly addicted to hand sanitizer
21. You understand instantaneously why a child behaves a certain way after meeting his or her parents.

(When I attempted to add Christina's blog to my Google Reader account I was having a hard time finding the RSS symbol on the actual blog page but then I realized that the symbol was located in the URL address window at the top of the browser).

2. Creating Lifelong Learners
I liked Matthew Needleman's opinions on teaching young children how to become writers who love writing.
In response to the above sketch (taken from his Creating Lifelong Learners blog) Needleman writes "Let students write. Let them get their ideas out on paper without worrying about writing conventions and Big Macs."

3. Learning with 'e's
Steve Wheeler, the author of the blog "Learning with 'e's" is incredibly knowledgeable about current technology issues and truly inspires me as a fellow educator. His blog is nominated for "Edublog's" Best Individual Blog and Most Influential Post. I especially enjoyed his post "Teaching with Twitter." I have heard a great deal about Twitter but have not yet had time to explore it. After reading Steve's post I have a better understanding of the Twitter tools available and specific ideas of how to use the tools as an educator.

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought, why on earth would I want to deal with RSS?? But once I understood the power of it I was hooked. How else and I going to keep up with this class.....

    What I have found though is that I have to be very selective about what things I put on my reader. I only have so much time and I am not willing to give up my fiction reading and beading time to keep up on too many blogs and websites.

    ReplyDelete