Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week 3: "Thing 5"


IMG_1578
Originally uploaded by matthews_joni
Before I embarked upon this discovery exercise, I had already set up a flickr account but the assignment challenged me to learn more. I found out how to do so many interesting things.

I learned that "Tags" are keywords or labels that you add to a photo to make it easier to find later.

I found out that "Groups" make it easy to share photos and that once you become a member of a specific group you can then add your photos to that group's pool.

I also learned to upload a photo, tag it, use the edit and create options in Picnik to enhance the color, sharpen the image, and add a border, as well as link my Raven About Web 2.0 blog 'World Wide Web Quest' to my flickr account so that the next time I want to upload a photo to my blog it is a quick and easy process. I did a test post from my flickr account to my blogspot just to be sure it wasn't too good to be true.

The photo that I chose to upload is one of my favorite photos that I took on the 100th Day of School. My students and I just celebrated the 'big day' last Friday. The photo is of an illustration that one of my students drew. The assignment was to make a wish for 100 of something, write what you would do with it, and then create an illustration to go with the writing. I have done this same activity for the past seven years of my teaching career and I have never had a student come up with such a unique yet well thought-out answer. He wished for 100 moms to do stuff for him!

There is so much more in flickr that I want to learn to do like make a map of where I have been, create a jigsaw puzzle, make my own teacher badge, create my own blog header, make a photo cube, add comic book captions to some of my photos, create a mosaic of my pictures, and much much more!

In closing, I have to say that I love that flickr, picnik, and blogger all work together so nicely and I wish I would have discovered this sooner as I have been using all three of them separately for almost a year now.

1 comment:

  1. The more Web 2.0 tools that are developed the more developers are looking at how to integrate them. This is great for the users as you discovered. Love the picture, 100 moms.....hmmm. Wonder what he will think of that one as a teenager:-)

    Ann Morgester

    ReplyDelete