Thursday, February 5, 2009

Week 3: "Thing 6"

I decided to expolre the Flickr Mashup called fd's Flickr Toys and use Big Huge Labs to create my very own teacher trading card.

I decided to make my trading card with the sky background. I uploaded a comic strip photo from photo booth that I took of myself in my classroom. Then I added a description of myself and my teaching career. I also added three fun icons to my trading card that represent attitudes I try to encourage my students to have; a happy disposition, a kind and caring heart, and completing work that will earn a thumbs up!

I could see using the trading card idea in many ways in my classroom.

Just a few ideas include:
1. Having each student make a trading card and then share it with the class at the beginning of the school year as an activity to help the class get to know one another better.

2. Making a trading card for each letter of the alphabet and using the cards at a learning center to help students learn their letters and sounds.

3. Having each staff member of the school make a trading card and post it outside their classroom door so that visitors to the school can identify their childs' classroom and teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I love Big Huge Labs....there tools are a lot of fun to play with. Your ideas for using the cards are great.

    I have used them to do book reviews by students (helps them keep it short and on target) and then laminating them and put them on the shelves with the books so students can see what other readers had to say about the book. So many fun things to do with them :-)

    ReplyDelete