Monday, March 2, 2009

Week 8: "Thing 19"

I loved LibraryThing. It was easy to sign up for a free account and get started searching for some of my all time favorite books to read aloud to my students.

On my blog library shelf you will see...

Charlotte's Web - I love to read this book aloud to my class. It is a book of true friendship, life lessons that can be hard to swallow, and fun times on the farm.

Frindle - I have not read this book aloud to my first grade students but I remember it being one of my favorites to listen to. I love the way this book shows students just how powerful words can be.

Julia Donaldson's (my newest favorite author) books...

Gruffalo- a fun book about a tricky mouse who outsmarts three woodland creatures, and one not-so-imaginery Gruffalo, who want to gobble him up.

Gruffalo's Child- a book to follow the one listed above with a little twist, this time the Gruffalo is not the big and bad one, instead the mouse fills those shoes.

The Snail and the Whale- a book about a snail who feels small and insignificant in relation to the rest of the world but finds out he is capable of making a very big impact.

The Fish Who Cried Wolf- a fun story about a little fish who tells big tales and one day finds himself in over his head without help because of the tales he spins.

Room on the Broom- an enjoyable story where a witch and her animal friends help one another and find that true friends stick together through good times and bad.

The Spiffiest Giant in Town- a heartwarming story that shows children if you are kind to others kindness will come back to you.

I can't wait to add this Web 2.0 tool to my class blog. I think it would be a powerful way to keep parents up to date as to what we are reading aloud as a class and then parents could check them out of the library and provide these familiar books to their child to read at home. We could also use our library shelf on our class blog as a way to display our top ten favorite class read alouds!

2 comments:

  1. LT is a lot of fun. I don't always keep mine up as much as I should, but it really is a lot of fun to see how many others like your books, get ideas of other books to read and to read and write reviews. Sounds like this will be a great tool for you.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like LibraryThing too. Reading the reviews steered be away from one book that I was interested in and into a few books on parenting teens. I could see using the reviews to help students select books.
    Janis

    ReplyDelete