Monday, March 2, 2009

Week 8: "Thing 19.1"

I was introduced to the Alaska Digital Pipeline last year at ASDSA when I began my training process as a TTL grant participant. It looked like a great tool at that time but I did not have much of an opportunity to check it out.

As I explored the Digital Pipeline this time, I found it somewhat hard to navigate but I realize that I am still learning how to best put it to use.

I found it easy to create an EBSCO account, do a search (I searched the iditarod), and save some of the articles to my folder.

I had trouble creating a search alert and a journal alert, even after examining the EBSCO support link provided.

As I searched the database for professional journals I found many that I recognized such as NEA Today, Education Canada, and Education Digest.

As I looked at the differences between the Kids, Middle, and High School Interfaces I found:
-all three interfaces had a facts for learning link
-all three interfaces had some sort of search option
-all three interfaces had a NoveList
-all three interfaces had live homework help

However as I searched the three interfaces I noticed that they incrementally offered more choices as the grade level increased which makes sense as older students are able to critique information found on the internet in more appropriate and safe ways.

When I explored the Consumer Health Pamphlets I did a search on picky eaters as I have a 19 month old daughter who just happens to fit that description and the following three resources were offered. When I have more time to dedicated to this task I am hoping these resources will help me better understand my daughter's eating habits.
When I checked out the Consumer Health Images and Diagrams I found an awesome diagram of the eye. I think this link could be of great use to the health teachers within the Anchorage School District. I will definitely be passing it on to our school health teacher.
When I explored the Consumer Health Videos and Animations I discovered a video called Helping Overweight Children.

After watching the Flash Movie explaining the upcoming changes to the EBSCO Host interface I am excited about the following upcoming features and changes to the site...
-the simplified search screen
-the breadcrumb trail
-being able to limit searches by date
-images related to searches being offered
-the ability to quickly preview related images

Lastly, I had to check out the small engine repair category. Now the next time I talk with my brother who lives in Canada and works at a John Deere factory I can "WOW!!!" him with my knowledge of how to repair a John Deere 1050 engine and clutch system.

(Displayed above (click to enlarge): Page 1 of 9 of the light reading I recently required on how to fix a John Deere 1050 engine and clutch system. Yeah... I will get right on that!)

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning....

    Glad that you had the time with this class to do some exploring in EBSCO and the Digital Pipeline. We have a great resource that doesn't get nearly the use it should get. I agree that the interface could be more helpful. My HS students loved the consumer health images. Lots of gory video for the boys...and they can watch it because it is for school :-)

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a difficult time locating helpful information in the Digital Pipeline. It seems like there is a ton of great information there someplace, but as I continued to click on links, they never ended up where I wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete