Saturday, March 28, 2009

Week 9: "Thing 22"

I explored the World eBook Fair site and I found the collection to be severely outdated. I spent quite a bit of time in the children's collection and I knew some of the title's such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Rabbit, and Bambi. However, I could not see myself or my students putting this resource to good use unless it is updated and offers more recent titles and authors.

An eBook option that is available to educators that I put to good use is Tumblebooks! My students love it!

This is not a free site but I think it is well worth the money to buy a school subscription. Some of the features I love most about the site are:
-the eBooks target childrens' interests
-the eBooks can be read aloud to the student
-the eBooks are recent and by popular authors
-there are eBooks for ELL students (French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, and Russian)
-after listening to an eBook a student can take a comprehension quiz
-there is a pre-made template to help students when writing a book report
-there are educational games and puzzles that are extensions of the eBooks
-the eBooks are leveled to target the students' reading ability
-book reviews are available for each eBook
-accelerated reader information is available for each eBook
-there is an excellent educator's resource section and lesson plans that accompany some eBooks
-students and/or teachers can create a favorites list and a playlist

The image below shows a variety of Tumble options available to students.
The following image (click to enlarge) displays the useful tools that accompany an eBook.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on completion of your Raven About Web 2.0 journey. This is the most time I have spent on a computer for a long time. I know our kids do it all the time.

    I love tumblebooks too. Our district uses it and the readership is increasing. My youngest students are able to navigate to this site easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Juneau elementary libraries also subscribe to Tumblebooks. I was in elementary last year, and the students realy liked it. Some even became "at home" users of the the service through their school's library home page. Much better than ebooks! (in my humble opinion)

    ReplyDelete