Saturday, January 31, 2009

Week 1: "Thing 1 & Thing 2"

After reading the 'about' section on the Raven Web 2.0 blog and learning more about the philosophy driving this class, I am excited to be a part of the experience.

As a current professional in the education field I feel the frustration of an expanding gap between the Digital Immigrant teacher and the Digital Native student. I am hoping that by taking this class I can begin to close that gap and reconnect with my students.

I found the online tutorial '71/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners' to be interesting and a bit of a refresher as to what I need to require of myself as an intellectual and of my students as they progress academically throughout the school year.

The easiest habit for me to adhere to is Habit 71/2 - Play! I have a 20 month old daughter and every spare moment I have is spent with her. We build block towers, cover the fridge with magnetic letters and numbers, and host make-believe tea parties for five to six very well-behaved dolls at least once an evening. I could not survive without my daily dose of playtime!

The hardest habit for me to adhere to is Habit 3 - View problems as challenges! I find it difficult to look on the sunny side of life sometimes or see the glass half full instead of half empty. I find myself looking for problems in order to avert them. This online tutorial reinforced this character flaw that I possess and has laid the foundation to reverse my thinking in this area.

1 comment:

  1. Joni: Love the pledge at the top of your blog :-)

    I am constantly surprised at how far the students have moved beyond us in the digital realm. I keep telling people that the kids have already made the leap, they are there, and our willingness to get on board is no longer optional. Sound like we have a similar philosophy on that.

    I also have trouble with #3. Some of the time I can see it as a challenge and other times I just want to throw something. (Usually my computer after hours of trying to solve what should be a simple problem.....That's when I need one of those digital natives around :-)

    Ann Morgester

    ReplyDelete