Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Craiglist Scam - Please Read!

This is a letter that I wrote to Craigslist.com to alert them of a scam I encountered when trying to sell an item on their website.

I posted a change table for sale on anchorage/mat-su craigslist. I received an offer from tylonn1978@gmail.com. He offered to pay $220 for the change table even though I was only asking $200. When the certified check (or so he claimed) arrived, it was made out for $2450. He said that the bank made an error and asked if I would deposit the check into my bank account, take $250 as payment for the change table and my trouble, and western union him the remaining balance of $2200. I called my bank immediately as I was weary about the transaction. My bank advised me NOT to cash the check and send the money western union as the check could bounce and then I would be out the $2200.

I googled the email address (tylonn1978@gmail.com) and found four results of other scams that this person has tried to pull on craigslist shoppers prior to me. I believe that I was targeted as I posted a for sale item (change table) that may have led this scam artist to think I was a trusting, caring, new mom and thus an easy target. During our email conversations this person also claimed that he was honeymooning in Hawaii and that he was hearing impaired in an attempt to appeal to my softer side and trick me.

I am alerting you of this problem as I DO NOT want any other HONEST craigslist shopper to be scammed in this way!!! I find craigslist to be a helpful and popular site however if scammers such as this person continue to perform fraudulent activities it may lose its credibility with the general public. Is there any way you can let all craiglist shoppers know about this kind of SCAM or find this crimminal and put an end to his misuse of craigslist?

I would appreciate a prompt reply of your action concerning this problem.
Thank you for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment